As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here
I don’t think anything goes better with Bailey’s than chocolate. Maybe coffee. Maybe. But we put together what Bailey’s goes best with… chocolate cake… to make this rich and moist cake! We’re loving how chocolatey this stuff is. You’ll never be able to eat ordinary cake again once you try this Bailey’s chocolate cake.
I came up with this idea when we posted some Bailey’s S’mores Dessert Shots. We made some yummy shots that were mainly Bailey’s and chocolate and I thought, where else can I use this combo? The answer was obviously in the form of a Bailey’s chocolate cake. But that was too basic, and I loooove me some bundt cake. So I made a Bailey’s chocolate cake in a bundt pan instead!
Also, can we talk about how cake somehow tastes more delicious in a bundt cake form? We’re not sure how or why, but somehow it does. Maybe it’s the perfect sized pieces, or maybe the texture is just better. Who knows, but it’s wonderful. I’m 98% sure this Irish cream cake is better because it’s in a bundt pan.
Bundt cake always feels old fashioned to me. Like my great grandma made it for my grandma who made it for my mom who made it for me, kind of thing. But, this recipe certainly isn’t your grandma’s recipe. Oh no, it has too much going on to be your Grandma’s recipe. But I promise it will be just as good, if in a different way.
Why do they call it a bundt cake?
They might call it a bundt cake because of bundkuchen, a German ring shaped coffee cake.
Do you let a bundt cake cool in the pan?
No, do not let a bundt cake cool in the pan. It should only cool for 10-20 minutes before you flip it. If you let it cool for too long it can get wet and stick to the inside of the pan more easily. Also, any sugar that may be sticking will begin to turn solid again, but when it’s warm it will remain liquid.
Here are some tips for keeping your bundt cake whole:
- Use a nonstick pan
- Grease the pan shortly before adding the batter
- Flour the pan with nut flour
How long do bundt cakes last?
Cake can last up to five days in the fridge depending on the type of frosting you use. The amount of days decreases when you add dairy.
Here are some tips to make the best bundt cake:
- Use a light, nonstick metal bundt pan if you have one. Silicone molds are great for things like jello, but they and glass pans don’t transfer heat as well as a metal pan.
- To prevent air bubbles, slowly spoon or pour the batter into the pan. The faster pouring increases the chances of air bubbles.
- DO NOT open the oven door until it is time to check if the cake is finished. If you open the oven door it will allow the heat to escape. At worst this can cause the cake to deflate and be flat, ruining the texture. At best it will increase the baking time for the cake.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup milk
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ¾ cup hot water
- ½ cup Bailey’s Irish cream
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 5 tbsp Bailey’s Irish cream
- Prepare a bundt pan with nonstick spray and preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare the cake by combining all dry ingredients into the bowl of a stand mixer with a whisk attachment , or large mixing bowl. Whisk the dry ingredients until there are no lumps.
- Add the eggs, milk, Bailey’s, oil, and vanilla and mix until well combined.
- Add in the hot water last and mix on low speed until combined. After the water has mixed well, adjust to high speed for 1 minute.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 45 minutes (check it at 35 minutes) or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Let cool completely before glazing.
- Add the confectioners sugar and baileys into a small bowl and mix until combined. If the mixture is too thick, feel free to add more bailey’s or heavy cream. You can also substitute heavy cream for the Bailey’s if you do not wish to have that much alcohol in the recipe.
- Pour the glaze over the cake and serve.