These cupcakes have absolutely no nutritional value, at all. But they have all sorts of giggling value! And that's something. Firecracker cupcakes. They are cupcakes, which are always fun. And on top of that, they have hot sauce, pop rocks, and other fun additions. I dare you to try this sometime with your kids and not giggle as you eat them!
Are you looking for a fun Fourth of July dessert? Try my EASY Patriotic Fruit Tart!
When I see another firecracker cupcake recipe on Pinterest or other social media I get excited... until I click over and see that it is simply a decorative firecracker cupcake. As in, it's NOT exploding in your mouth stuff. Lame. I want a firecracker in my mouth AND a pretty cupcake. So, I took matters into my own hands with these cupcakes.
These cupcakes are quite simple and a great Fourth of July dessert. In fact, my daughter did a good majority of the baking! They are gooey, spicy, and fun to eat because they taste like Red Hot candies dipped in Pop Rocks. My kids were nuts over them and I continue to make them often. Honestly, I loved them too…so fun! But, be aware…the flavor mostly comes from the frosting…not the cupcakes! Don’t skip the frosting! Or the Pop Rocks.
Note: Pop Rocks have become increasingly difficult to find. I can grab them from my local candy store or on Amazon. When I find them, I pick up multiple packages to have on hand for these cupcakes.
Note: Sometimes when I make these, I scoop out a bit of the center of the cooled cupcake and fill it with Pop Rocks before icing. But this only works with cooled cake. Warm cake will activate the Pop Rocks before you get to bite into it.
There you have it…a Redhot Cupcake Recipe the kids will be loving and are great fun for the Fourth of July and more.
Just for fun, I made a Spotify playlist perfect for playing while serving up and eating these cupcakes...
Red Hot Firecracker Cupcakes
- 1 cup red hot candies
- pop rocks
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp cream or milk
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp cloves
- 2 drops hot sauce
- Prepare a package of white cake mix (or homemade!) according to the directions for cupcakes.
- Add 1 cup of crushed red hot candies to the batter before baking (I use my food processor to crush them.)Tip: spray the cupcake liners to help them come off the cake better. These are gooey!
- Bake according to package directions.
- Mix the butter and powdered sugar.
- Add the rest of the frosting ingredients to the sugar and butter. Beat together an additional 2 minutes.
If desired, more cinnamon and hot sauce can be added to increase heat.
- Scoop out the center of the cooled cupcakes...set the cake aside.
- Pour Pop Rocks into the center of the cupcake and top with the cupcake you set aside (avoid having the frosting touch the Pop Rocks directly to keep them fresh)
- Frost the cooled cupcakes.
- Dip the frosted tops in Pop Rocks (or simply sprinkle the Pop Rocks on top)
Tip: These are fun to add star sprinkles, metallic cupcake toppers, or patriotic cupcake liners to!