These gooey bars are utterly incredible! A sweet milky chocolate-y filling, crunchy coconut topping all on a buttery crust...seriously addictive! These are the bars you'll be asked to bring again and again. You better have them stored up for all of the times you'll be asked to make them!
There are some recipes that seem to be universally loved. Just about any potluck, picnic, or event will have a variation of them.
These bars are one of those recipes. A cross between a classic magic bar and a 7-layer bar, these are straight decadent.
The crust is a simple shortbread type of crust. All buttery goodness.
And the filling! Oh gosh, the classic mixture of condensed milk, coconut, and chocolate chips. That never ceases to please.
Pile all of that sweet and gooey filling on the buttery crust, add more coconut for a crunchy top, and it is just impossible not to love these bars. They are just that good.
We serve them up with a glass of milk or cup of coffee. And keep those servings on the small size...these bars are rich and decadent!
Ooey Gooey Magic Butter Bars
- 2 ½ cups flour divided
- 1 ¼ cup packed brown sugar divided
- 1 ¼ cup butter divided
- 3 large eggs
- 1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 4 cups sweetened shredded coconut divided
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees.
- Line a 13x9 inch baking pan with parchment paper so that the paper extends up the sides of the pan.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together 2 cups of the flour and 1 cup of the brown sugar. In a small microwave safe bowl, melt the butter in the microwave. Stir the melted butter into the flour mixture until well combined.
- Press the crust mixture into the bottom of the parchment paper lined baking pan. Bake at 350F for 12-15 minutes until lightly browned. Remove from the oven and cool for 10 minutes.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 325F degrees.
- In a large bowl whisk together the remaining ½ cup of flour, ¼ cup of the brown sugar, 3 eggs, 1 can of sweetened condensed milk, and the vanilla extract. Melt the remaining ¼ cup of butter in the microwave in a microwave safe bowl, then stir into the filling mixture.
- Add the semisweet chocolate chips and 3 cups of the shredded coconut; stir well.
- Pour the filling mixture over the baked crust. Sprinkle the top with the remaining 1 cup of coconut.
- Bake the coconut bars as 325F for 30 minutes, until golden brown on top.
- Cool the bars in the pan for 10 minutes, then carefully remove from the pan by lifting the sides of the parchment paper and moving the bars to a cooling rack. Cool completely to room temperature, then cut into bars and serve.