As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here
I think, from the recipes you see here on NellieBellie, you might have the impression I eat carbs and sugar and coffee 22 hours of a 24 day. This recipe isn’t going to help convince you that isn’t true. Because, truth be told, I would TOTALLY eat these chocolate mint bars every. single. minute of the day.
These bars have the perfect combo of sweet, smooth chocolate top with a creamy mint filling and crunchy, crumbly chocolate bottom. The absolute best!
I have a love/hate relationship with anything Chocolate Mint (there was a year when I may have bought many many boxes of those darn little cookies. Now, I run away from the little girls. Run, Nellie, Run!). Like those darn Thin Mints. or Andes Mints. or Oreo Mints.
LOVE: soooo delicious. Like, probably my favorite treat EVER delicious.
HATE: soooo delicious. Like, probably my favorite treat EVER delicious.
I’m not claiming to make sense here, you guys. And I KNOW some of you are totally getting me, right now.
Yes, of course! You can’t make chocolate mint bars without a proper chocolate cookie crumb layer. An absolute must have for any bar that wants to call itself a chocolate mint bar.
I am embarrassed to admit that Katie and I had a moment of panic when we realized we didn’t have green food coloring (face plant–doh!). Thank goodness that moment didn’t last too long.
The cream cheese filling is sweet and creamy with just the right amount of peppermint flavor. So good!
Here’s the deal. Having your favorite bars on a Friday is good for the soul. For your family. For your belly. And, invite some friends over…good for your friendships. And these bars are the best because they are simple to make, the PERFECT flavor combo, and easily made ahead. Give them a try, will you?
Be sure to come back here and let me know what you think. These ones are personal faves of mine and I would love to hear if you think I’m nuts :).
Chocolate Mint Bars
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons peppermint extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- green food coloring (optional)
- 18 oreos (this doesn't need to be exact. You just need enough to cover the bottom of your pan when they're crushed)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Crush the oreos. We did this by putting them in a food processor, but you could also put them in a ziplock bag and hit them with a rolling pin.
- Mix the butter, oreos, and peppermint extract. Press the mixture into the bottom of a 8x8 pan.
- Mix the butter and cream together. Slowly add the powdered sugar (if you add it too quickly it will get everywhere!). Mix until fully combined. Add the peppermint extract and green food coloring until desired color.
- Use about half of the frosting to make a “crumb coat”. Spread the frosting over the oreos. The oreos will likely mix into the frosting, but that’s fine. Chill for 10-15 minutes. Spread the rest of the frosting. Chill again.
- Melt the chocolate chips and coconut oil together in a microwave, stirring every 30 seconds. Spread over frosting.
- Chill until chocolate has hardened.