As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here
This is the best homemade sloppy joe sauce you’ll find! Don’t get your sloppy joe sauce from in a can, use this easy and simple from scratch recipe! Perfect amount of spice, sweet, and delicious sloppy joe flavor!
Sloppy Joes are a constant favorite in many homes across the nation, mine included. Most families reach for a can sloppy joe sauce to create their favorite sandwiches. But gosh darn…give this recipe a try!! You’ll find that making the sauce from scratch is really easy and allows you to customize it to your family’s favorites.
This sauce is completely gluten-free, dairy-free AND you can certainly make any additional dietary changes you needed.
Sloppy Joe Mix Ingredients:
- ground beef, turkey, or chicken.
I use any of the above, depending on what is on sale or what I’m feeling like. For the ground turkey or chicken, add a bit of oil into the pan when sauteing it to compensate for the lack of fat.
Some recipes call for tomato paste and you could totally go that route if you wanted to. I find that ketchup comes with a good amount of salt and additional flavor that keeps things simple. And, let’s face it, I always have ketchup on hand.
- onions and green peppers.
But there are no green peppers in mine, at all. My family does not like green peppers and I leave them out. However, most recipes will have finely diced green peppers. If you are about green peppers, add them in. Onions are another must. Keep the onions diced up fairly small so they don’t overpower the meat.
Brown or white, but you’ll need a bit of sugar to give good balance to the sauce. It also helps if, like mine, your recipe has a bit of kick to it. That little bit of sweet is a nice contrast.
Just a bit makes all of the difference in the world. Or a lot, if your family likes heat.
Can you freeze Sloppy Joe Meat?
Absolutely! The key is to let it cool down before placing it in a ziplock bag and freezing it. It’s best to lay the freezer bag flat in the freezer and freeze so that you won’t have large clumps of frozen meat. This makes thawing easier and safer. Simply thaw in the fridge, reheat, and serve!
What can I use Sloppy Joe Sauce for?
Oh girl, the possibilities are endless and certainly not for just a sad hamburger bun!
- stuffed peppers
- tater tot casserole
- baked potatoes
- mac & cheese
- on pasta
- stuffed in bread and smothered in cheese
Homemade Sloppy Joe Sauce is magical stuff and helps you make yummy comfort foods your family loves and YOU love because it’s so. dang. easy.
Homemade Sloppy Joe Sauce
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 cup onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3/4 cup water divided in 1/2
- 2/3 cup ketchup
- 2 dashes worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sriracha
- In skillet, on med-high heat, saute meat and onions until meat is in small bits and onion is transparent about 6 minutes.
- Add garlic and continue to saute until garlic is fragrant, a minute or two.
- Pour in the first half of the water, scrape the pan, and add the ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, salt, and pepper. Simmer for 3 min on med-high heat.
- Add the additional water, turn heat down to medium and simmer for 12-15 minutes, or until thickened. Stir often.
- Stir in the sriracha and vinegar. Let stand a couple of minutes. Serve.
Save this recipe to your Pinterest board to try later…
Other favorite sauces to try:
yummy Garlic White Pizza Sauce