Y’alllllll!! Tater tot casserole just got a major update and Joe is responsible. Sloppy Joe, to be exact. This is a perfect blend of tater tot hotdish and sloppy joe’s smooshed into a crazy easy and delicious casserole your whole family will love. Guaranteed.
Start with your favorite sloppy joe sauce smothering the bottom of a casserole pan.
Note: if you don’t have a homemade sloppy joe sauce you love…try mine. It’s kind of a crazy popular recipe guaranteed to please!
Now those mixed veggies get spooned over the top. Just like traditional Minnesota tater tot hotdish.
Of COURSE we are adding cheese. It wouldn’t be tater tot casserole without it! I prefer to use cheddar cheese with the sloppy joe sauce but use your favorite.
The best part!! When my kids were young they loved lining up the frozen tots on top of the hot dish. Granted, they took foreeevvveer! But now that they are grown, I miss those days.
Tip for perfect tater tot hotdish: Splurge on the name-brand tots. Totally worth it!
Right! Doesn’t that look like a plate full of goodness? It is! Family friendly goodness.
That bite is everything! Even your picky 12 year old will eat this gladly. And the best part is you’ll have it on the table lickity split. This is also a great dish for making ahead and reheating. The leftovers are just as good the next day!
Sloppy Joe Tater Tot Hotdish
- 1 recipe sloppy joe sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup frozen mixed veggies
- 2 cups cheddar cheese
- 1 bag frozen tater tots
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Spread the sloppy joe sauce on the bottom of a 9 by 13 baking dish.
- Spread the mixed veggies on top.
- Gently pour the water on the top.
- Add the cheese to the top.
- Top with tater tots.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes or until bubbling. Tip: to get the tater tots extra crispy and the cheese bubbling, turn the broiler on for the last 5 minutes, or so.
Other family-friendly recipes you’ll love:
Make a homemade version of the family favorite Cheeseburger Macaroni!
This is an easy Broccoli & Chicken Alfredo that everyone will like!
Oh my gosh, we LOVE this Hawaiian Chicken!