These cinnamon sugar donuts are crazy easy and use only 3 ingredients (five if you count the cinnamon sugar). You’ll love how delicious and easy they are!
These doughnuts are perfect for busy weekend mornings when I really want to make my family something special but simply don’t have the time for my from scratch blueberry baked donuts (Levi’s favorite!).
I only need a can of biscuits and oil to make these homemade doughnuts. So easy! I usually coat them in a bit of butter and dip them in cinnamon sugar, though. Sometimes a sprinkle of powdered sugar. Or…if I’m REALLY feeling fancy, I’ll dollup some of Nathan’s chocolate frosting and sprinkles.
Tip: Stick with the name brand biscuit dough (like Pillsbury) on these. You’ll get better results.
Keep the oil hot but don’t let it get crazy hot or you’ll get burned outsides and doughy insides. Not good.
Tip: If you are really short of time (or simply impatient) and looks don’t matter…try dropping in 2inch hunks of dough and making “rustic” donut holes, of sorts. They cook much faster and you can whip those out in record time.
Have your cinnamon and sugar mixed up ahead of time so those hot doughnuts can go straight into the mixture. Sometimes I’ll add a bit of cayenne or chili powder to the mixture for a fun little heat.
Tip: If you like to have these donuts all ready at the same time, fry them and set them on a towel naked. When they are all done, brush melted butter on each side and dip them in the cinnamon sugar. Serve.
Sooo good! In fact, I just told Alexa to add biscuits to our shopping list because I want to make a batch of these on Saturday. They really are crazy easy!
P.S. I’m obsessed with Alexa. My family NEVER wrote missing items on the grocery list. Now, they simply tell Alexa to add it to the list. Just the grocery list alone has made her super handy. If you have an Alexa…use the grocery list feature! This is the Echo we have (actually, I bought another for upstairs) if you don’t have one and want to take a peek at it.
Skip the doughnut shop, grab a can of biscuits, and make these homemade donuts in 15 minutes! Sooo stupid easy and delicious!
Easiest Homemade Donuts (from biscuits)
- 1 roll prepared biscuit dough roll of 8
- 4 cups veggie or canola oil
- 1/4 cup butter optional
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 Tablespoons cinnamon
- Place oil in a heavy pot or dutch oven and heat over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, place the butter in a shallow dish and melt in the microwave for 25 minutes.
- In a second dish, combine the sugar and cinnamon.
- Cut small circles out of the biscuits (or you can use a small cookie cutter to put a shape in the middle).
- When the oil is hot, add a biscuit to the oil. If it does not start bubbling immediately, remove the biscuit and wait another minute or two.
- Fry each biscuit for 2 minutes, 1 minute on each side.
- Remove from the hot oil to a paper-towel lined pan.
- If you dip the donuts in the cinnamon sugar mixture while they are still hot, you do not need the melted butter, but if they are too hot for you to handle, dip them in the melted butter and then the cinnamon sugar mixture in order to coat evenly.
Save this recipe to your Pinterest board for later…
Other homemade doughnut recipes:
Coffee Donuts with Whiskey Icing. Yep, I totally went there and these are as good as it sounds. That icing, though!
My son Levi’s all-time favorite: Baked Blueberry Yogurt Donut
Reuben donuts. Heck YES! Such a crazy idea and yet so crazy good!
Other recipes that use canned biscuit dough:
Berry Monkey Bread uses canned cinnamon rolls. So yummy and pretty!
Parmesan Ranch Pull Apart Bread. It tastes as good as it looks!