This post has been sponsored by MARS. All thoughts and opinions are my own, forever and always. The end.
This is a little trick I have in my back pocket to help me stay on budget but still be a super mom! I can use budget-friendly ice cream and sugar cones, customize them to be exactly what my family wants, make it all ahead, and it’s easy and fast!
The name of the game is good ol’ M & M’s. These are our little time savers, happy kid makers, and patriotic helpers, and easily found at Target (where I grabbed all the ingredients for this post!). Start by having your kids separate the red, white, and blue into piles. Be forewarned…they will most likely try to make a flag and sneak as many as they can :).
I recommend two big bag’s of M & M’s for a gallon of ice cream.
I have a cartwheel offer for Target to save you even more! Find it here… https://cartwheel-secure.target.com/f/marswrigley-summer/-/2968
Next, your kid’s can dip the very tips of sugar cones into chocolate and then into the red, white, and blue sprinkles. The chocolate I use is melting chocolate that comes in an easy, ready to microwave container in both milk and white chocolate that you can find this in the baking section of your store. I prefer using milk chocolate because of the taste but frankly, the white looks better with the red, white, and blue sprinkles.
Now for the fun part…
- Take 1/3 of your vanilla ice cream and let soften a bit.
- Put it into a large bowl and add your blue M & M’s.
- Give it a good stir. The great thing is that the M & M’s will help color that ice cream without you having to do much. Stir until the color is distributed evenly.
- Put your ice cream into a loaf pan or other freezable pan (if a loaf pan isn’t going to be large enough, try a disposable aluminum pan or using 2 loaf pans), leaving room for the other 2/3 of the ice cream. Put in the freezer while making the remaining colors.
- Repeat steps 1-3 for each color, adding to your other colors.
Tip: If you prefer a bluer blue or redder red, add a drop of blue/red food coloring or blue/red sprinkles (shown above) before stirring. As well, you can add flavoring like peppermint, cinnamon, etc… to your ice cream.
Red, White, and Blue ice cream full of M & M’s! Serve up the ice cream with your dipped cones for a fun ice cream treat at your July 4th celebration. The best part is that you can have this made up ahead of time and ready to go. Simply pull it out and listen to the ooh’s and aaah’s when you set it out to be enjoyed!
No worries, he’ll eat that so fast it won’t melt!
This trick is one way that I keep costs down at birthday parties and special events while still giving my kid’s a “special” treat. I grab a big gallon of inexpensive vanilla ice cream and sugar cones and customize them to be exactly what I need them to be for the occasion. A little trick I have in my back pocket to help me stay on budget but still be a super mom that you now have…yay!