Are you a fan of chocolate chip cookies? Are you a fan of caramel? Then these Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookies are the treat for you…
Salted caramel chocolate chip cookies!
This recipe is surprisingly easy, only one more step than normal chocolate chip cookies. So this recipe is for all of those moms who love chocolate chip cookies, whose children love chocolate chip cookies, but are just sick of normal chocolate chip cookies. Or maybe, these same moms are looking for a fun variation of the standard cookie because they just love chocolate chip cookies SO much they want to eat it in as many ways as they can.
Whatever the reason is, no judgment here.
These delicious salted caramel chocolate chip cookies are filled with soft caramel and topped with sea salt, to satisfy those of us who just can’t decide between what dessert is our favorite. They’re ooey, gooey, and absolutely perfect when warm.
Tip: Because the caramel can harden a little as it cools, when you go back to eat another cookie (because of course you will, why wouldn’t you? They’re SO good) warm it in the microwave for a few seconds, but no more than ten.
These cookies are best served warm and with warm people (unless you’re friends with zombies. In which case, cool).
You can use whatever type of caramel you’d like for this recipe. So whether that means Grandma’s homemade caramel or some from the grocery store, the choice is yours. Please just use soft caramel so it melts better, and so it does not hurt your jaw.
Choose your favorite type of caramel.
The cookie dough will be formed around the caramels towards the end of preparation, so make sure you choose a caramel you like.
Bring these cookies to a birthday party, get together, or just to eat all by yourself! Don’t worry, you won’t be the first person to have done it.
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup melted butter
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1/2 bag chocolate chips
- 10-12 soft caramels
- Coarse sea salt to taste (optional)
- Sift together flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl put butter and sugars. Beat together.
- Add eggs and vanilla to butter and beat until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add flour mixture to the butter mixture while stirring.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Roll 1/4 c. of dough into a ball. Use your thumb to form a divot in the center of the ball.
- Place a caramel into the divot, and reform the ball around the caramel.
- Grease cookie sheet. Put dough balls 3 inches apart onto cookie sheet.
- Bake in oven at preheated at 325 degrees for 15-17 minutes (or cooked to your preference).
- When cookies are finished, sprinkle sea salt on top of the warm cookies. If you don't like salt on desserts, simply leave this step out.