I just can't take it. Just looking at that cake makes me want to throw out my perfectly good peanut butter toast and coffee breakfast and start baking. Think I can have this whipped up by lunch time? Yes, yes I can. Because this Chocolate Tuxedo Cake is easy. And fast. And delicious. All the important adjectives at one time...BAM-awesome! Before you go running for the hills at the words filling and ganache just give it a try. These really are very, very easy and YOU can make them. If you've never made a "fancy" dessert give this Chocolate Tuxedo Cake a try. You'll surprise yourself. The worst that happens is it doesn't look that pretty. Promise it will still taste crazy delicious!
Chocolate Tuxedo Cake is made up of layers of black and white. In this case we used a chocolate cake and cream cheese filling to create those layers. Often you see this cake with layers of chocolate AND white cake. But there isn't any reason for that. And if it's your first time with a fancy pants cake, we should keep it simple. Get some confidence.
We add chocolate ganache over the top of the cake so that we get more chocolate, obviously. Yet, chocolate ganache is also a cheater way of looking fancy and professional with little effort. It never fails to impress. This chocolate ganache is 2 ingredients and very, very simple. Impressive AND simple.
Ingredients for Chocolate Tuxedo Cake:
- chocolate cake batter (enough for 2 9x13's) --feel free to use 2 of the boxed mixes, if you like
- cream cheese filling (recipe below)
- chocolate ganache (recipe below)
- whipped cream (recipe below) --purchase this if you prefer
- shaved chocolate-optional. although chocolate isn't really optional, ever.
Directions for Chocolate Tuxedo Cake:
- Pour batter into three 9 inch round cake pans. (we only have 1 round cake pan, so we had to make them in turns). Bake according to directions. Cool for several minutes and then remove from pan. Cool completely.
- Make the cream cheese filling according to recipe.
- Assemble: Layer of chocolate cake, 1/2 the cream cheese filling, chocolate cake, and then the remaining cream cheese filling.
- Make the chocolate ganache according to recipe. Let cool about 5 minutes or until proper pouring temperature (see recipe below for more info). Pour gently over the top of the cake. Let cool.
- Top with whipped cream and shaved chocolate. Store in fridge.
- 4 oz dark chocolate chopped
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Put the chocolate in medium heat-safe bowl.
- In heavy saucepan warm cream over low heat until hot.
- Pour hot cream over the chocolate and stir quickly until chocolate is melted and well-blended.
- Let cool about 3 minutes or until a good thick and still pourable consistency. Use immediately.