DIY tea bags are great to know how to make. Here, we have two versions of tea bags: one is the ball method, which is slightly simpler. The other looks more like a classic tea bag.
While this DIY calls for coffee filters, muslin or cheesecloth can also be used very easily in place of the filters. You can usually find them in your kitchen department near the gadgets.
These work perfectly for your loose leaf teas, and even better as a gift! Just make a few of these, add a few tags, and you’ve got a perfect birthday present, housewarming gift, or care package!
Coffee Filter DIY Tea Bags
- coffee filters
- loose leaf tea
- Cut the coffee filter into a rectangle.
- Put your tea into the center (base your amount off of what you want in your tea bag…I read the recommended amount on my tea and use that amount).
- Fold the sides over into the middle.
- Set your finger in the center and then fold the two sides up onto each other.
- Fold the top down and staple. Put a piece of string on before (or after) stapling.
Note: I have had questions about the safety of the staples and string in the tea. 1. The string I use is baker’s twine, intended for food use. You can grab this in the kitchen department at most any store or grocer. The staples are a bit different. I don’t worry much about them because stainless steel is non-toxic. Or…you could try the tea ball technique (below) that eliminates the need for staples entirely.
- Cheesecloth or muslin (Easy to find in your kitchen department. Usually near the gadgets.)
- Bakers twine (Easy to find in your kitchen department. Usually near canning supplies and/or cupcake liners)
Simply cut your muslin into squares about 4 inch by 4 inch. Use double pieces if working with an extra fine tea blend. Cut larger squares if making large batches (such as for tea concentrate or cold-brew iced tea).Scoop your loose-leaf tea on to the cheesecloth square. Most tea is about 1 tablespoon per cup but tea drinkers often have their own preference. Use what you like!
Keep several squares and twine already cut and ready to go. Your tea time will be tastier, faster, and you’ll be pleased with yourself every time you drop one of those bags into your hot water!