For some it might even be too basic. But, you can always jazz it up if you like. I am a big believer, though, that when learning to cook you should know the classic recipe BEFORE the fancy pants one.
“We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.” Find our full disclosure here.
In this you don’t peel and dice the butternut squash. Instead, you have everything in one giant pot. gasp! And there’s only 9 ingredients, which includes the salt! But, this is the truest, most simple Butternut Soup recipe ever. (If you have other great ones…shoot them over here!)
You do need an immersion blender…a regular blender works but is pretty messy.
Yummy yummy yummy! It is best served with a dollop of sour cream and a bit of cheddar cheese.
If you all have some other fun variations on Butternut Soup, leave it in the comments or shoot over an email! This family would eat it all year!
- 1 butternut squash...baked
- 1 cup diced potatoes.
- 1 cup diced onions
- 4 tbsp butter
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 6 cups of chicken broth or a mixture of wine, broth, cream, etc...
- 2 tbsp rosemary
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 cup of 1/2 and 1/2
- Bake the squash until done.
- In large pot melt butter add potatoes and onion.
- Cook until onion is translucent.
- Add minced garlic
- Cook a minute or two.
- Add chicken broth, rosemary, and salt...simmer about 20 minutes
- Add cooked squash, cover and bring back to boil. Remove from heat.
- Use an immersion blender and blend until smooth.
- Stir in 1/2 and 1/2.
- Serve warm.