Finding a good, simple frosting recipe can be quite the challenge. Sure, intricate recipes for all sorts of unique and fabulous frosting are all over the place. But finding a simple recipe for chocolate frosting or cream cheese frosting can sure be hard!!! And everyone knows that frosting makes or breaks the cake!
So we’ve put all our favorite frosting recipes in one spot for you to peruse. You’ll notice right away we don’t have a plain vanilla frosting recipe. That’s because we don’t use it. It’s just too bland. Instead, we use cream cheese or our buttercream. Or we’ll just put on some homemade whipped cream. Yum!
Our chocolate frosting recipe is perfect for our Desert Island Chocolate cake, but also pairs beautifully with graham crackers for a sinful snack.
- 2 packages of soft cream cheese
- 1/2 cup soft butter
- 1.5 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Beat the cream cheese & butter well.
- Add powdered sugar and beat again.
- Add vanilla and beat until fluffy.
Add more milk if your frosting is too thick.
Looking to make something a bit more natural? This cream cheese frosting recipe is fabulous! It works in all the same places as a traditional cream cheese frosting, but with less guilt. We always use this one when we make our Butternut Squash Cake.
This Buttercream frosting recipe is really simple, and pairs perfectly with butter cake. Yes, we know it sounds like WAY too much butter in one dessert…but trust us, it’s perfect! This buttercream is also fabulous on cookies. Seriously yummy.
- 1 cup browned butter
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- Brown 1 cup of butter. Put the browned butter in the fridge and let chill just until softened.
- Beat softened brown butter and 2 1/2 cups of the powdered sugar together.
- Add additional powdered sugar until your frosting is the consistency you prefer.
A great chocolate ganache can do wonders for your desserts! We love using ganache to frost our bundt cakes, like our gluten-free chocolate pistachio cake. We also love adding it as a secondary topping to already decadent cakes, like our tuxedo cake.
- 4 oz dark chocolate chopped
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Put the chocolate in medium heat-safe bowl.
- In heavy saucepan warm cream over low heat until hot.
- Pour hot cream over the chocolate and stir quickly until chocolate is melted and well-blended.
- Let cool about 3 minutes or until a good thick and still pourable consistency. Use immediately.
Looking for cakes to go with your frosting? Take a look at our favorites here.