My husband’s (Nate to those who know him. or you.) favorite, favorite, favorite cake is my homemade chocolate cake. And being that it’s his birthday today it seems only right to make him my chocolate cake. This is the best chocolate cake from scratch recipe. In the history of best. And chocolate. And cake. This is an easy chocolate cake to make and the homemade frosting and cake combo is the best it gets. The cake is a fantastic texture and not overly sweet like cake sometimes is. And that frosting? Oh. My. Gosh. You’ll be eating it with a spoon. Creamy, chocolatey, and smooth. There isn’t a better bite than this chocolate cake with the frosting. Really, truly, pinky swear!
(We get a lot of questions about the cake stand. Unfortunately, we can’t point you to where to buy this exact one. If the color is what you like, though, you might like this square distressed cake plate on Amazon.)
I am a believer in good, fast, and consistent recipes. Make it, eat it, enjoy it…move on. I am also a GIANT fan of knowing what ingredients are in my food. All of them. This is such an easy chocolate cake that there isn’t a need to pull out a cake mix if you have this in your cake recipes. Skip the processed cake mixes and make it homemade. Your tastebuds will thank you. So will your tummy’s!
This homemade chocolate cake recipe may not make it in the world of cake gurus. But, it WILL make it in the world of those you love. They will adore you. Bow at your feet adore! And, that’s what it’s really about, anyway.
Cake pops. I don’t understand why we take perfectly good cake and crumble it up into balls. Why not just eat the cake? #immissingsomething
— Nellie & Bellie (@miznelliebellie) August 4, 2014
Why is this cake called Desert Island Chocolate Cake? Well, because if you could only have 1 thing to bring with you to a Desert Island…this would be it. Nope, I would bring my phone to call for help from the desert island. But, Nate would bring this cake to the desert island, not me-his wife? The cake rates higher (although, if he brought me I think I would kill him for taking me with him to his death) . Golly, I sound jealous of a cake. This homemade chocolate cake recipe is not sweet. It is a perfect match for the sweet, smooth frosting. This specific cake and frosting combo is what works. Maybe it’s the “from scratch” part that makes it? Cake and frosting. Chocolate and smooth. They just go together. the end.
Homemade Chocolate Cake Recipe
- 3/4 cup soft butter
- 3 eggs at room temperature
- 2 c. all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cup sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- grease bottom of pan (I use 2 round pans or 1 9 by 13). preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat butter for 30 seconds or so. slowly add sugar.
- Add eggs 1 at a time beating after each one. Beat in vanilla.
- Add dry ingredients beating after each addition.
- Add 1/2 of the milk, beat. Then add the other 1/2. Beat just until everything is combined nicely.
- Spread batter evenly into pans.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes for round pans, 5 min longer or so for the 9 by 13 pan. Watch it though! a knife coming out clean from the center means it is done. NOTE: Many readers are finding they need to increase the baking time. This is probably due to the difference in ovens, pans, and elevation. Always go by the way the cake looks and if the cake is done in the center.
- Another method of mixing this cake that works better for some is simply mixing the dry ingredients and the wet in separate bowls and stirring them gently together.
- One of our readers has let us know that, when making cupcakes with this recipe, 375 degrees for 17 minutes is perfect. (Thanks, Dina!)
- There has been a common problem with the cake falling in the center and being undercooked. This is because it is removed too soon. Be sure that the cake is dry on the edges, and that that a knife comes out clean when inserted into the center. If you remove it too soon, even if it looks done, it will fall (all cakes will!).
THE FROSTING RECIPE:
- 2 sticks softened butter
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- beat ingredients until smooth.
NOTE: this frosting is my go-to all the time frosting recipe.
Some readers that have eaten cake on Wednesday (and all the days after :))…
Made this cake today for my boyfriend and my son. No special occasion, just wanted to make it! It is wonderful, and that is coming from a girl who isn’t really a cake eater! I make it, but don’t really like eating it. But this cake is delicious!
This cake is incredible. I made it this weekend for my sons birthday and everyone agreed this was the best cake chocolate cake they had tasted. I did use buttermilk in place of the milk but that was my only change. I will make this cake again and again and again!! Thank you!!
Excellent delish made this for my husband thank you so much for the recipe
Made this cake for my 12 year anniversary. Turned out delicious. I prefer homemade cakes to box mixes ever since I tried them 2 years ago and this one is a definite keeper. It is my new go-to for a chocolate cake. I used a different frosting, thought it would be chocolate overload, but was very happy with the richness and density of the cake. Thanks for a great recipe!
If you are looking for a fix and forget chocolate cake my slow-cooker chocolate cake might be just the thing!