My husband’s (Nate to those who know him. or you.) favorite, favorite, favorite cake is my chocolate cake. And being that it’s his birthday today it seems only right to make him my chocolate cake. This is the best chocolate cake. In the history of best. And chocolate. And cake. This is a simple cake to make and the homemade frosting and cake combo is the best it gets. Really, truly, pinky swear!
Cake pops. I don't understand why we take perfectly good cake and crumble it up into balls. Why not just eat the cake? #immissingsomething
— Nellie & Bellie (@miznelliebellie) August 4, 2014
Why is this cake called Desert Island Chocolate Cake? Well, because if you could only have 1 thing to bring with you to a Desert Island…this would be it.
Nope, I would bring my phone to call for help from the desert island. But, Nate would bring this cake to the desert island, not me-his wife? The cake rates higher (although, if he brought me I think I would kill him for taking me with him to his death) . Golly, I sound jealous of a cake.
This cake is not sweet. It is a perfect match for the sweet, smooth frosting. This specific cake and frosting combo is what works. Maybe it’s the “from scratch” part that makes it? Cake and frosting. Chocolate and smooth. They just go together. the end.
Desert Island Chocolate Cake
- 3/4 cup soft butter
- 3 eggs at room temperature
- 2 c. flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cup sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- grease bottom of pan (I use 2 round pans or 1 9 by 13). preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat butter for 30 seconds or so. slowly add sugar.
- Add eggs 1 at a time beating after each one. Beat in vanilla.
- Add dry ingredients beating after each addition.
- Add 1/2 of the milk, beat. Then add the other 1/2. Beat just until everything is combined nicely.
- Spread batter evenly into pans.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes for round pans, 5 min longer or so for the 9 by 13 pan. Watch it though! a knife coming out clean from the center means it is done.
- 2 sticks softened butter
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- beat ingredients until smooth.
NOTE: this frosting is my go-to all the time frosting recipe.
If you like this, but want something simpler, you might like our chocolate cupcakes with mallow filling. Super easy and super delicious. Katie’s chocolate chip cookies are also super good. Oohh.. hot chocolate, too. Okay, done now. No more chocolatey goodness.