Hello there! I am so glad you are here. Today we are talking about gnocchi. The little, tiny, absolutely fabulous puffs of potato pasta. Many of you love them as much as I do. But I wonder, have you tried making your own? True, purchasing them is easy, fast, and delicious...I usually do, as well. But I love taking a lazy Saturday afternoon and making up a batch of fresh homemade gnocchi.
We have some for supper that night and stash the rest away in the freezer for an easy weekday supper. Nothing beats pulling gnocchi out of the freezer that YOU made. Nothing (truth...there are a few things. But not many.) The picture above was my lunch last week. I love my homemade gnocchi with a bit of greek yogurt and fresh herbs on top...yummy!
Homemade gnocchi are very simple and use only a few ingredients.
The best part is how customizable they are. You can substitute sweet potatoes (I almost always do) for the white potato for added nutrition. Many gnocchi makers like to add in cheeses, veggies, even nuts or meat to their homemade gnocchi. Today I'm showing you the traditional, most basic version that is ALWAYS a great one to make. Then once you get your feet under you with your gnocchi making skills, you can go crazy adapting and changing to YOUR perfect version. Be sure to tell me what you come up with, or head over to Instagram and tag us @miznelliebellie with your own homemade gnocchi. I'm always looking for great ways to change up the basic recipe.
Basic Homemade Gnocchi
- 2 cups mashed potatoes boil the potatoes with their peels on and THEN remove the peels before you mash; so much easier!--about 5-6 potatoes
- 1 ½ cups flour plus ½ cup as needed
- 1 egg beaten
- Mix the potatoes and egg together well.
- Add in ¾ cup of the flour and mix well.
- Continue adding in flour until the desired consistency is met.
- Roll out your dough on a well-floured surface into long logs and cut.
- Cook immediately or freeze.
Bring lightly salted water to a boil and add the gnocchi.
Boil about 3-4 minutes or until the gnocchi float to the surface.
More pasta recipes you'll love: