Warm, hearty, and delicious...this Instant Pot Salisbury Steak feeds your whole family delicious rich gravy on top of flavorful beef patties without a lot of money, time, or energy.
Are you collecting easy and fast Instant Pot Family meals? Try my Instant Pot Spaghetti for a fast and simple meal the whole family will gobble up!
Do you love easy Instant Pot and Crock Pot recipes?...
Does your family enjoy salisbury steak? My whole family are big fans. I used to buy the salisbury steak dinners at the grocery store and just microwave for a quick and easy dinner. Then learned to cook (thank goodness!)and developed this easy Instant Pot Salisbury Steak Recipe. It tastes so much better, I know exactly what’s in it and it’s just as fast as heating up multiple tv dinners. Plus...the Instant Pot makes it crazy fast!
- Ground beef. I use lean ground beef for the ground beef patties to cut down on the amount of grease that ends up in the end result.
- Dry onion soup mix. Using onion soup mix gives you flavorful salisbury steaks without any fuss or muss.
- Seasoned bread crumbs. Gluten-free, if needed, works great in this recipe.
- Milk. Cream or half and half give the richest flavor but those of you that are dairy-free (like me) can definitely use your favorite nut milk without any problems.
- Cream of mushroom soup. Dairy-free friends, there ARE dairy-free options out there but you are probably going to have to make your own dairy-free instant mushroom soup.
- Beef stock. You can use water as a substitute but the beef broth gives you the most delicious gravy.
- Black Pepper. You can add this at the end, if you forget. But don't skip it...you'll find the gravy needs that bit of spice.
- Bella mushrooms. Buy them already sliced to keep things easy.
- Worcestershire sauce. Just a little bit goes a long way to give yummy depth of flavor to the gravy.
How to make instant pot salisbury steak:
- Combine ground beef, onion soup mix, bread crumbs and milk in a large bowl. Mix them together with your hands and form 8 salisbury steak patties.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet on the stove top (or, you could use the saute function on your IP, if you prefer. Be sure to scrape the bottom of the pan with a little beef broth to get the good stuff mixed into your gravy.). Brown the patties in the hot skillet (you are looking for them to brown, not cook through). Brown both sides, then move them to the Instant Pot. You can stack them as needed to get all 8 in there.
- Add the mushrooms and cream soup.
- Pour the broth on top and add the Worcestershire sauce. Optional...throw in a couple of cloves of garlic for added flavor. Remember to pull them out later ;).
- Cook on high pressure for 7 minutes cook time, let naturally release for 10 minutes, press cancel, and then manually release the remaining pressure.
- If needed, turn the IP on sauté function and add the cornstarch slurry. Stir constantly until the broth is a nice, rich gravy consistency. Make sure you keep stirring!
- Serve over rice, mashed potatoes or noodles with the salisbury steak gravy, green beans, and a lovely glass of red wine.
Note: Most hamburger steak are made into thin patties. I prefer mine in thick patties (or even salisbury steak meatballs) and often break the leftovers up into the gravy to create a strogonoff for the next day by adding a scoop of sour cream into the gravy.
When lean ground beef goes on sale at the grocery store, stock up and make a couple of batches of the patties ahead of time. Fry them up as directed and freeze. Just thaw and follow this simple recipe when you’re ready for another batch of salisbury steak. A favorite meal made super easy!
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. The gravy doesn't freeze well because of the dairy content. You'll find that it separates, a bit, when thawed.
This is a recipe that your family will gladly eat seconds and thirds of. Although, I try to make sure there are leftovers for lunch the next day. You'll love how fast this comes together to feed a lot of people a warm, hearty meal!
Instant Pot Salisbury Steak
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 envelope dry onion soup mix
- ½ cup seasoned bread crumbs gluten-free, if needed
- ¼ cup milk almond milk works great
- 2 cans cream of mushroom soup
- 1 can beef broth
- 1 8 oz pkg bella mushrooms sliced
- 1 tablespoon of pepper
- 2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- if needed, 2 tablespoons cornstarch and 2 tablespoons water mixed together.
- Combine the ground beef, onion soup mix, bread crumbs and milk in a large bow. Mix them together with your hands and form 8 patties.
- Heat the oil in a skillet. Brown the patties in the hot skillet (you are looking for them to brown, not cook through). Brown both sides, then move them to the Instant Pot. You can stack them as needed to get all 8 in there.
- Add the mushrooms and cream soup.
- Pour the broth on top and add the Worcestershire sauce.
- Cook on high pressure for 7 minutes, let naturally release for 10minutes and then naturally release.
- If needed, turn the IP on saute and add the cornstarch slurry. Stir constantly until the broth is a nice gravy consistency. Make sure you keep stirring!
- Serve over rice, mashed potatoes or noodles.