- 3/4 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 2 teaspoons paprika smoked if you have it!
- 1 teaspoon ground dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 5 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground mace or use more nutmeg as a mace substitute
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/16 teaspoon ground cloves
Check out our Kitchen Reference Guide for help with unfamiliar terms.
Use a mortar + pestle or spice grinder to grind the celery seed, bay leaves, and red pepper flakes.
Mix everything together.
Store in an airtight container for up to 6 months. Use exactly the same way you would store-bought Old Bay Seasoning.