Homemade Old Bay Seasoning:Print Recipe Pin Recipe
Old Bay Seasoning can be homemade. HECK YES! Here is the homemade recipe featuring dry spices in your pantry!
Check out our Kitchen Reference Guide for help with unfamiliar terms.
- 3/4 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 2 teaspoons paprika smoked if you have it!
- 1 teaspoon ground dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 5 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground mace or use more nutmeg as a mace substitute
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/16 teaspoon ground cloves
- Use a mortar + pestle or spice grinder to grind the celery seed, bay leaves, and red pepper flakes.
- Mix everything together.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 6 months. Use exactly the same way you would store-bought Old Bay Seasoning.