Hey all! Welcome to the yucky post all about cleaning. I know, run away...run away!! But STOP! The next few minutes of reading yucky stuff about diy antibacterial cleaners will be so useful. Truly! We don't write a whole lot of tutorials, tips and tricks, and all that jazz about cleaning. Because, let's face it...cleaning is fairly straightforward.
We can pretend all we want to give you the next best thing but it's just hype and drama. There is no next best thing for cleaning. It's still very much the same way it was 20 years ago. Sadly. But, we do have a few little tricks that streamline the old-school way of cleaning. And today we have one of our faves.
All-purpose DIY antibacterial cleaner.
In only 3 ingredients (unless you count water. Then 4 ingredients) that you can find at your local Walmart. For real!
This little beauty takes away the need for multiple bottles of varying cleaners AND it's anti-bacterial. So, it kills germs and stops mold. Really, it stops mold. Clean your bathroom, kitchen, basement...anywhere that gets a little damp and this fabulous stuff will keep that mold away.
Secret ingredient: Tea Tree Oil.
- Tea Tree oil is a magic little guy. Use it to spot treat acne. To clear up poison ivy. To keep away ants. The list goes on!
- Rubbing alcohol is used instead of water because the alcohol evaporates and leaves the tea tree oil instead of sticking. Perfect for already damp areas!
- Rubbing alcohol is known as antimicrobial which means it kills microorganisms (bacteria, fungi, germs) or stops their growth – such and the spread of germs. It kills 99.99% of germs within about 10-30 seconds and makes a great disinfectant spray!
- Vinegar has always been known to be a fantastic cleaning agent. The problem...it doesn't smell so great. Thankfully mixing water, rubbing alcohol, and tea tree oil with it helps alot!
- Spot test the cleaner on painted surfaces. Some oil-based paints/stains come off with rubbing alcohol (not many! but some.) You can always do the water version if you are worried.
- WARNING: tea tree oil is toxic if ingested in large amounts. Keep away from children that might drink the bottle. gross.
HOW TO MAKE YOUR DIY ANTIBACTERIAL CLEANER: Click here for video tutorial.
- 1 cup rubbing alcohol
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 15 drops tea tree oil
- Mix everything together in a spray bottle.
If you don't want to go through the trouble of making DIY antibacterial cleaner, Mrs. Meyers makes a great version that actually isn't too expensive.