Although my children are now 20 and 15 and I don't find myself needing to worry about pregnancy and young children, many NellieBellie readers are mothers of small children and/or expecting little ones. You'll love Aurora and her recipes, especially this tasty "mocktail" created with those momma's-to-be in mind!
Aurora is the author of The Ultimate New Mom’s Cookbook. She lives in NYC with her family where she works in food media as an author, food stylist and photographer.er, an urban gardener and a photographer who is happiest capturing delicious food and delightful smiles. She lives in New York City with her family.
I'll let Aurora introduce this yummy recipe and how it came to be...
During the first trimester I, like many new moms, was trying to hide my pregnancy. This was a hard task for me since my social life revolved around eating and drinking. I decided the fancier I went with ordering fake drinks the fewer questions I would be asked. A kindly bartender, some may call him a saint, created a mango “mojito” for me with spicy simple syrup that I’ve been craving since. This is so good you don’t need to be pregnant to enjoy.
This mocktail also rocks for mamas still fighting morning sickness. Mint and bubbles in seltzers have both been shown to help alleviate nausea. There are another two reasons to try.
Tropical Tummy Mango Faux-jito
- 1 lime quartered
- 2 sprigs mint
- 1.5 oz. jalapeno simple syrup 1 shot glass
- 3 oz. mango nectar
- 3 oz. seltzer water
- Jalapeno Simple Syrup:
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup water
- 1 jalapeno remove seeds if you don’t want too spicy or leave if you love the heat
- First make your simple syrup. In a smallsaucepan, bring water to a boil and stir in sugar until dissolved.
- Remove from heat and add in jalapeno. For a slight jalapeno flavor, remove after 15 minutes. Otherwise, leave in until it reaches the intensity you like.
- In a large cocktail shaker, muddle your mint with lime wedges and your simple syrup.
- Fill your shaker with ice and pour the mango nectar on top. Shake rigorously until the shaker feels very cool to the touch. Meanwhile, fill a rocks glass with ice.
- Pour your mango mojito into your glass and top with seltzer. Garnish with a lime wedge and extra mint. Enjoy!
This looks amazing! You won't tell if I sneak a bit of whiskey in mine, will ya :). Guys, Aurora's book would make a great baby shower gift or new mom's gift!! You know I'm going to be ordering a couple. Maybe with some cute cocktail glasses included. Heck, that would be adorable!