This fun project is a great way to get your kids excited about the garden! Creating their own garden rock caterpillar to “guard” the garden is a fun activity for the whole family. It’s also inexpensive and easy! And your child can help gather up the needed supplies!
Supplies for garden rock caterpillar:
- Outdoor paint in the desired colors.
- 7 large rocks. (body)
- 12 small rocks. (feet)
- 2 small sticks (antennae)
- Waterproof landscaping glue or Goop.
1. Determine what rocks are going to be where in your caterpillar. Save out your “head” and “feet”.
2. Have your child paint the rocks that are the caterpillar’s body.
Give them a lot of color choices and encourage them to be creative. Be aware that most outdoor paint is not washable so be sure to watch out for fancy clothes!
3. Paint the “antennae” (sticks), “head” (large rock), and “feet” (small rocks) a solid color such as black or green.
4. Give your garden rock caterpillar a face ( or not…whatever.)
5. After the paint has dried on the head attach the “antennae” (sticks) with your waterproof glue.
Also, attach “feet” to the rocks that are going to be the humps of the caterpillar. You need to attach your “head” to the first rock on the body. Use rocks, bottles, books, whatever you can find to prop them up while they dry. Let dry for several hours.
6. Assemble the caterpillar!
Put the head in place and then balance the remaining rocks onto one another. Use the painted small rocks (that were not attached) for feet.
Did you guys have fun?
Then make Grandma rock caterpillar. Or the mailman rock caterpillar!
We think kids that love re purposing and recycling is something that needs to be treasured and cultivated!
If you like this garden rock caterpillar, you might also like: