- 4 medium boneless, skinless chicken thighs or chicken breasts
- ⅔ cup finely chopped jalapeno peppers habanero or scotch bonnet
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- ⅓ cup lime juice about 4 medium sized limes
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce use low sodium, if possible
- ⅓ cup brown sugar honey can be substituted
- ¼ cup green onions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme oregano or marjoram would be good subs.
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 4 cloves garlic, minced or ¾ teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced or ½ teaspoon ground ginger
Place all ingredients in the Instant Pot
Use the pressure cooker setting on high for 20 minutes (for chicken breasts use 18 minutes) using manual release.
Shred the chicken with two forks and turn the Instant Pot to the saute setting.
Saute for 7-9 minutes or until the sauce has reduced down. Alternatively, you could mix 2 tablespoons of water and 1 tablespoon of flour together to create a slurry. Add the slurry to the chicken and stir. This will help thicken the chicken.
Add additional seasoning, as needed. (Most often I need to add a bit of salt or a bit more sugar)
Put everything into your slow-cooker and cook on high 5-7 hours or low 8-10 hours.
Shred chicken and make a little slurry of 3 tablespoons flour and ¼ cup water. Pour the slurry into the chicken, turn the crockpot on high, and cook for about 10 minutes to thicken, stirring occasionally.
DOUBLING THE RECIPE:
Go ahead and just double the meat without changing the liquid. There is enough liquid in this recipe to allow for doubling it up.
Calories: 355kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 23g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 107mg | Sodium: 362mg | Potassium: 441mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 19g | Vitamin A: 287IU | Vitamin C: 26mg | Calcium: 66mg | Iron: 2mg