Cherry Cake with Cherry Frosting
A perfectly sweet, moist, and flavorful cherry cake! You'll love how easy and tasty this one is.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
Servings 12 servings
- 2 and 1/8 cups flour
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter, room temp
- 1/2 cup maraschino cherry juice
- 1/3 cup maraschino cherries, cut small
- 1/4 cup milk room temperature
- 4 egg whites room temperature
- 1 cup butter, room temp 2 sticks
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3-1/2 cup maraschino cherries, cut small based on how much cherry flavor you'd like
- 1/4 tsp salt
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9 by 13 inch cake pan or 1/4 sheet pan.
Sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
Beat the butter to creamy first, then SLOWLY add milk, then cherries and juice.
Add them to dry ingredients. Beat mixture for 2 minutes.
Beat the egg whites separately. Gently fold into the batter.
Pour into prepared pans. Bake for 30 minutes or until cooked through. (check at the 25 minute mark)
In a large bowl, cream together the butter and powdered sugar. Be sure to add the powdered sugar slowly to minimize mess. Mix until well blended, then increase mixer speed and allow to mix for 3 minutes or until fluffy.
Add cherries and salt and mix until incorporated. Spread on cooled cake.