I know many of you, like me, are on a budget. A budget that involves paying for bills, groceries, medical stuff, and all the rest. That budget doesn't have a whole lot of room for decorating and decor. I don't want you to think for one minute that keeps you from having a pretty, special home. Far from it! It just means you need to get a bit more creative, employ a bit of elbow grease, and pull out a budget decorator's magic weapon... paint!
Paint is, by far, the very best way to completely transform a space without alot of cost. You can even shop the "oops" paints at your home improvement stores for discounted paints. The variety of kinds of paints is as vast as the color selection and I want to take a few moments to touch base on what my favorite kinds are and what I use them for:
- Chalk Paint.
Chalk Paint is my absolute favorite for painting furniture and small wood projects. It paints without prepping (besides a good wash), on almost any surface, and gives a gorgeous vintage look. You can easily purchase chalk paint at almost any craft store or home improvement store. Or, you can make your own. I use THIS chalk paint recipe to make my own.
- Outdoor Paint.
Outdoor paint holds up like nothing else. It requires a bit of prep work and usually multiple coats but will LAST on most any project. I use it indoors for high-traffic places like the stair railings, DIY area rugs (like the one below), and bathroom projects.
- Latex Paint
Latex Paint is the top choice for walls, of course. There are may sheens to choose from depending on what room you are painting. The best thing to do would simply be to ask for advice when you purchase your paint. Paint your walls, your floors, paint your kitchen cupboards, paint your porch, paint a plain table. Just paint all your things!
The following are other great ideas for using paint to create a beautiful, budget friendly home. And, of course, don't miss the 25 Simple Paint Crafts for your home that gives you even more ideas!
Paint Home Decor:
- Geometric DIY Art - Sum of Their Stories
- Stenciled Linen Pillows - Jennifer Rizzo
- Summer Painted Planters - The Crafted Sparrow
- Coastal Terra Cotta Pots Tutorial - Cherished Bliss
- Shabby Chic Display Shelf Makeover - Happy Deal - Happy Day!
- DIY Herringbone Canvas Art - I Should Be Mopping the Floor
- Roman Numeral Clock Tutorial - HandmadeHaven
- How to Paint Lamp Shades - Inspiation for Moms
- Dresser Drawers to Storage Boxes - Having Fun Saving
- Painted Bed Frame - Happy Deal - Happy Day!
- DIY Laundry Room Sign - Having Fun Saving
- Agate- Inspired Painting - Jennifer Rizzo
- Chalkboard Pantry Door- Back to the South
- DIY Weathered Chalk Paint Sign - I Should Be Mopping the Floor
- Side Table from a Wire Basket - the Shabby Creek Cottage
- 15 Minute Ocean Scene - Darice JeweBlog
- DIY Tribal Painted Baskets for Home Decor - diycandy.com
- Painted Watercolor Pillow Cover - Tidbits
- Oversized Painted Plates - Refunk My Junk
- DIY Dragged Paint Wall Art - Mr. Kate