If you have never, ever, in the history of ever made candied nuts (can you hear an 11 year old giggling at that phrase--I did!) you really should. It's fast, easy, inexpensive (compared to buying them!), and customizable to all sorts of flavors, nuts, sugars...you name it. Put it on your must-do list. Not the "dream list" but the real honest-to-goodness going to do list.
How to make Candied Nuts :
- ⅓ cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups dry peanuts
- Put all ingredients into a medium, heavy saucepan on medium heat.
- Bring to boil, turn heat down to low. (stir often while bringing to a boil)
- Continue to boil on low, stirring often, until the liquid is mostly gone (the peanuts will get a bit darker in color)--about 15 minutes.
- Pour the peanuts onto a cookies sheet covered in parchment paper to let cool.
- Try using almonds, pecans, cashews...or mixed nuts.
- Try adding cinnamon & cloves, or garlic & dried herbs.
- Try adding vanilla flavoring, cocoa powder, or espresso to the sugar water.