Why do you need an easy Homemade Hot Chocolate Recipe?
We’re Minnesotans. We know what winter looks like, and how hard it can be. We’ve lived through the crazy snow drifts and the negative temperatures. We’ve dealt with frozen car doors and impossibly dense snow. We’ve lived through the Polar Vortex…twice, is it? And we still live here.
“We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.” Find our full disclosure here.
Crazy, aren’t we?
Sure, sometimes we all ask ourselves why, and dream of becoming Florida snowbirds, but we don’t really mean it.
And while many of us would jump at the chance to get away briefly in the winter (say…late January?!), there’s still something about the snowy winter wonderland we know we love. The snowy branches, fuzzy mittens, and snow angels are just part of what we love about this state.
And along with all that snow comes hot chocolate.
Hot chocolate and coffee is one of the tricks to surviving winter. We get through the frozen tundra of Minnesota by snuggling up in our super warm blankets, getting out a good book, and drinking hot chocolate. Lots of hot chocolate.
When we make hot chocolate, we want it to be the best. And we’re pretty sure you do, too. But usually, hot chocolate recipes are super complicated and hard to follow. So complicated, in fact, that you resort to the standard store-bought packages of hot chocolate that are not nearly as good as the real thing (though they do work in a pinch!)
Delicious hot chocolate recipes should be easy for anyone that wants to try their hand at making it! This recipe is easy and delicious. Warm and cozy. Rich and sweet. It’s basically the perfect homemade hot chocolate recipe!
Anytime you are heating milk (for hot chocolate or coffee), a good and thick saucepan on low heat is essential to keeping it from scalding. Low and slow. Do not let it boil.
And always use quality chocolate chips.
Don’t miss our great collection of under 30 minute comfort food ideas. You need everything you can get to survive winter!
homemade hot chocolate recipe
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy cream you can use a cup of milk instead if you want to be healthy
- Combine chocolate, sugar, and 1/2 cup of the milk in a saucepan. If you are using a heavy saucepan, medium heat is probably perfect. If you have a thinner saucepan, you’ll want to keep it at a lower heat so you don’t scald your milk.
- Stir frequently until the mixture is just starting to bubble.
- Stir in the rest of the milk and cream and heat to drinking temperature. Don’t boil it, or you’ll scald the milk and it won’t be tasty!
- Beat it up with a whisk or fork a bit…to make it frothy. Or skip this step.
- Top it with whipped cream or marshmallows.
And for more delicious warm beverages, check out our International Coffees. Coffee and hot chocolate together! What could be better?