These are gluten free brownies. I know, I know! Hard to believe all that deliciousness doesn’t have gluten. And, and, and…they truly taste as delicious as they look. Best of all, they are fast and easy to make. We served these up the other day after-school with a glass of milk. To test the taste of these gluten free brownies versus traditional brownies we didn’t tell Levi that they were gluten free and offered him up a brownie (with a bit of nervousness, for sure). It was gone in a blink. There is absolutely no question about how delicious they are and how much they DON’T taste like they are gluten-free.
The great part about the combo of gluten-free cookies AND brownies is that they help each other. The brownies that are a bit extra moist help with the grainier texture that often happens with gluten-free cookies (although, these ones from Tastefully Simple are one of the best!). It’s just about as perfect a pair as you can get.
The best part of these brownies is the chocolate chip cookie topping. We used a GLUTEN-FREE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE MIX from Tastefully Simple which helps us keep this fast, easy, and delicious. The only extra ingredients we need for the mix is an egg and butter. Love that!
For one pan of brownies use a half batch of cookie dough for the topping.
After mixing up the brownie dough and pouring it into your 8 by 8 pan (we like to line our pans with parchment paper to make it easy for clean-cup) the best part comes…dropping cookie dough on top. Nothing fancy here, simply drop the cookie dough on. Try not to have too large of pieces that could be difficult to cook through. Other than that, go for it!
Use your favorite gluten-free brownie recipe. However, we are including two of our favorites. For this particular brownie we used the Gluten Free Brownies. But, the Black Bean Brownies are a favorite, as well. Either way, if you are gluten-free or someone you love is, you’ll appreciate these brownie recipes.
There is absolutely nothing fancy, complicated, or tricky about these brownies. Simply cookie dough on top of brownie dough baked up to create gooey, chocolatey bliss. Yet, it’s those simple things that seem to be the best…don’t you think.
Gluten free Brownies
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
- Mix the melted butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla.
- Beat in the cocoa, flour, salt, and baking powder.
- Spread into greased 8 by 8 pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 28 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Black Bean Brownies
- 1 15.5 ounce can black beans, rinsed, drained, and mashed.
- 3 eggs lightly beaten.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil or coconut oil.
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- Blend all the ingredients together until smooth.
- Pour into greased 8 by 8 baking pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 28 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Recipe Notesrecipe adapted from this one on all-recipes http://allrecipes.com/recipe/black-bean-brownies/
If you are looking for some fast and easy gluten-free options for your family Tastefully Simple has some good ones HERE.