I have another great space saving solution for you today! In our new apartment, space is limited. And while we have room for a coffee table if we squish it in, we decided not to squish. But on game day or movie night you really, really want a place for your beer and popcorn! An easy, space saving solution to our problem is this DIY sofa arm tray...
“We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.” Go here for our full disclosure.
Now, before we being this tutorial of awesome let me point out a couple of things about this arm tray...
1. It is completely customizable...I love retro and chose to add a gold fleck treatment to mine. But, you could do whatever YOU like.
2. The materials are super easy to find! I got this wood, already cut, from Michaels. You could go to your building center and ask them to cut the wood for you. Or...you can grab the wood from Amazon. I've linked the materials in the material list to Amazon's stuff to point you in the right direction.
12 by 12 plywood
optional: rope, Martha Stewart podgeable paper, additional wood strip
(before you start, be sure that you measure the arm of your couch and choose wood pieces that are appropriate. You want the arm tray to only be an inch or two larger on each side. Nobody wants their drink flying off the arm tray mid-game!)
- Glue all sides together. Be sure to use plenty of glue and hold each piece down for 30 seconds to allow to set properly.
- Add a strip of wood on the inside corner, if desired. Glue both of the sides that touch the table. This piece gives the arm tray additional strength and support. But it is not necessary.
- Add rope to the bottom of the sides, if desired. If your table is a bit wobbly, or large for your arm, adding rope to the bottom of the sides will give the table grip and a bit more stability. Just glue the rope.
- Decorate the arm tray as you choose. Paint, stain, or...paper!
I know...right!! What a great solution for small spaces! Now, you can diy your own couch arm table! Make it awesome...possum!
If you don't want to diy your own but would like to pick one up... here are some awesome couch arm tables that I liked when I was looking at purchasing one (and then realized it was totally DIY-able!)..