Radishes are the star in this creamy and gorgeous soup that will be the star for dinner, this week! The radishes are mild and sweet in this recipe.
Maybe I am a little bit freak-ish for loving these little red veggies but let me be honest ... it's not my love for the little red veggies as much for this delicious radish soup! Prepare them in this creamy radish soup recipe and I am putty in your hands. Putty, I tell ya!
Can you eat the leaves from radishes?
Yes, absolutely! But you want to only eat the small and tender ones. They will be coarse and gross if they get too far grown. Use them like any other green.
This delicious radish soup recipe is a cinch to whip up and uses humble ingredients, but don't you be fooled for one little moment.
This creamy radish soup is a rock star!
Should I peel radishes?
Nah. Just give them a good washing and cut off the root end. They are good to go!
How do you get the bitterness out of radishes?
This soup recipe removes all the bitterness, completely. BUT if you are eating the radishes raw you want to sprinkle them with a bit of salt and let them sit for 15 to 20 minutes. Rinse and taste. The salt helps bring out the sweetness.
But be sure to serve it with yogurt or sour cream (obviously, if you are vegan, get the vegan sub for sour cream. Obvs :)). No really, you'll be tempted to think the addition of sour cream is not that big a deal but ... you'd be dead wrong. And when it comes to my favorite little spring red veggies, I don't want you to have a big ol' fat Loser symbol on your forehead. Use the sour cream.
Easy Creamy Radish Soup Recipe
- 2 lbs radishes rinsed trimmed, and quartered
- 1 red onion sliced
- 2 red potatoes, diced or alternately 1 cup sweet corn
- 8 tablespoons margarine
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper up to 4 teaspoons...taste and adjust
- 3 cups milk you can use almond milk or even broth, if you like.
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-3 teaspoons hot sauce most of the time I end up with 1 tablespoon.
- Melt margarine or butter on medium-high heat.
- Add the onion, radishes, corn, salt, pepper, and hot sauce in pan. Bring the butter, onion, radishes, corn, and spices to a boil, keep at a low-boil for about 30 minutes or until the radishes and onions are soft. Be careful not to burn the butter.
- Keep the temperature on low and stir in the milk and sugar.
- Heat until hot but not boiling.
- Use an immersion blender or transfer (carefully!) the soup to your blender and blend the soup until creamy.
- Serve warm with sour cream.
Do serve this soup with sour cream, at least the first time!
P.S. I'm a bit of a soup Nazi (get the reference :)) and pride myself on my crazy awesome soup abilities. No seriously ... please try my gourmet mushroom soup, or roasted cauliflower soup. Those two are some of my faves of all time and can't be missed! Oh wait...maybe my African Peanut soup? Oh heck, I love soup!