This is the best chocolate cake recipe. In the history of best. And chocolate. And cake. This is an easy chocolate cake recipe from scratch to make and the homemade frosting and cake combo is the best it gets. The baked cake is a fantastic texture and not overly sweet like cake sometimes is. And that frosting? You’ll be eating it with a spoon. Creamy, chocolatey, and smooth. This is a favorite in our FREE Reader’s Favorites Cake Cookbook by a landslide!
“We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.” Find our full disclosure here.
There is nothing better to do on a Saturday afternoon than gather the kids in the kitchen with crayons, aprons, and music…and bake a cake! Dancing and baking and sneaking tastes is as much a part of childhood as candy, movies, and hugs.
Maybe you’re a believer in good, fast, and consistent recipes. Make it, eat it, enjoy it…move on. Maybe you’re also a GIANT fan of knowing what ingredients are in the food you feed your family. Both of those are crazy great reasons to make a chocolate cake from scratch!
A few quick tips if you are making a homemade cake this weekend from our Readers Favorite Cake Cookbook:
- Make sure your eggs, milk, butter, and vanilla are at room temp. This really does give the best results. IF you don’t have the time…you can totally stick the eggs in a bowl of lukewarm water for a while. It will help.
- Spend extra time whipping your butter and sugar together. Makes for a light and fluffy cake!
- Instead of using flour for your cake pans…use cocoa. I KNOW, totally cool.
- Try to be precise with your measurements. Too much sugar gets cracky edges (is that a thing ) and too much flour will get a cracked top.
- When you pour your batter in the pan, give the pan a couple drops on the counter to spread it out and help remove air pockets.
This homemade chocolate cake recipe may not make it in the world of professional cake guru’s (Although, if you read the comments, there is totally a girl selling cupcakes using this recipe!). But, it WILL make you a super-hero in the world of those you love. They will adore you. Bow at your feet adore! And, making cake for our families is what it is really about anyways.
This homemade chocolate cake recipe is not overly sweet. It is a perfect match for the sweet, smooth chocolate frosting. This specific cake and frosting combo is what works. Maybe it’s the “from scratch” part that makes it? Moist chocolate cake and sweet frosting layers. Chocolate and smooth. They just go together. the end.
We have another name for this chocolate frosting (yes, we totally name our fave recipes!)… cracker dip.
Because we make up a batch and serve it with graham crackers for dipping ;). <— totally true!
A few questions we get asked quite often about baking this homemade chocolate cake recipe …
- Should I use sifted flour and then measure or measure and then sift?
It depends on how the recipe reads. If it reads 1 cup SIFTED flour than you sift and measure. If sifted isn’t even mentioned then you measure and sift. This recipe…skip the sifting if you want. We won’t tell.
- Can I convert a white cake into chocolate?
Now that is just plain rude to ask that question on a chocolate cake recipe! It makes us think that you aren’t going to use this recipe. Which, you should. But the answer is… yes. But it isn’t terribly simple. We have instructions and info HERE.
- Do you have a slow cooker chocolate cake you would recommend?
Well sure. Our favorite is our Chocolate Stout Cake. Yum!!
Or a very simple and wildly successful one to try is: 1 box of chocolate cake mix prepared (not baked) and poured into a sprayed slow-cooker. Whip up a small box of no-cook chocolate pudding and pour it into the center of the chocolate cake mix before it sets. Top the whole thing with 4 oz of chocolate chips. Cook for 3-4 hours or until the edges are bubbly. Seriously guys…easy peasy and sooooo delicious!
- How many cupcakes does this make?
Our reader Molly says she has made this several times and gets 24 cupcakes.
Homemade Chocolate Cake Recipe from scratch
- 3/4 cup butter softened
- 3 eggs at room temperature
- 2 c. all-purpose flour We love Bob’s Red Mill for great quality!
- 3/4 cup cocoa
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cup sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- grease bottom and sides of pan (I use 2 round pans or 1 9 by 13). preheat oven to 350 degrees. I would even suggest lining the bottom with parchment paper and then spraying.
- Combine cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl beat butter for 30 seconds or so. slowly add sugar.
- Add eggs 1 at a time beating after each one. Beat in vanilla.
- Add dry ingredients beating after each addition.
- Add 1/2 of the milk, beat. Then add the other 1/2. Beat just until everything is combined nicely.
- Spread batter about into pans making them about 2/3 full. You may have remaining batter (I sometimes make a few cupcakes.)
- Bake for 30-35 minutes for round pans, 5 min longer or so for the 9 by 13 pan. Watch it though! a knife coming out clean from the center means it is done. NOTE: Many readers are finding they need to increase the baking time. This is probably due to the difference in ovens, pans, and elevation. Always go by the way the cake looks and if the cake is done in the center.
One of our readers has let us know that, when making cupcakes with this recipe, 375 degrees for 17 minutes is perfect. (Thanks, Dina!)
There has been a common problem with the cake falling in the center and being undercooked. This is because it is removed too soon. Be sure that the cake is dry on the edges, and that that a knife comes out clean when inserted into the center. If you remove it too soon, even if it looks done, it will fall (all cakes will!).
THE Chocolate FROSTING RECIPE
- 2 sticks softened butter
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1.5 cup powdered sugar
- bit of milk if you find this stiff.
- beat ingredients until smooth.
NOTE: this frosting is my go-to all the time frosting recipe.
More homemade Chocolate Cake Recipes:
- Slow Cooker Chocolate Stout Cake
- Chocolate Cherry Almond Cake
- Vegan Beet Chocolate Cake
- Old-fashioned Brownie Cake
- Bailey’s Chocolate Bundt Cake
- Black-out Black Cocoa Chocolate Cake