As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here
Do you find it difficult to come up with clever, inexpensive gift ideas for kids? Especially ones that you can make? I do. It’s so much easier to create handmade gifts for adults. Food, wine, pretty things…they are pretty easily amused. But kids? No, kids aren’t fooled. They know what they like, what is “cool”, and what just doesn’t cut it. Hopefully, this chalkboard notebook will make the cut. At least to my nephew.
This little notebook is the unplugged version of an Ipad. Back in the day when we played with rocks –this little chalkboard notebook would have been the latest and greatest of technology!
It’s simple and inexpensive to make this techno wonder!
Supplies to find:
Cardboard (I used 4 pieces of boxes cut to the same size)Ribbon
Americana Chalkboard Paint
Supplies on hand:
- Cut cardboard to the same size squares, as many “pages” as you like.
- Paint both sides with Americana chalkboard paint. (the board may bow when you paint it. It will probably straighten out when you paint the other side. If not, when it is dry set several books on top for an hour or so)
- Punch multiple holes into the sides of the cardboard. Be sure all the holes line up with each page.
- Use the ribbon to lace up your pages and create your “spine”.
- Open your pages one by one and bend them so they lay nicely for the child.
- If you like, wrap some twine or ribbon around a piece of chalk and then tie it to your notebook.
I thought that was easy and painless. And oh so cute!! I wonder what kind of reaction I would get if I pulled that out at my next client meeting to take notes? I bet they would want their own! Maybe I’ll stick with my grown-up version?