There are cupcakes. And then, there are CUPCAKES. These are the latter. Blackberry Cream. They belong in the list of fabulous cupcakes. The cupcakes with capital letters. That you bring out for bad days, when you want to impress someone, anniversaries, and just because. My list of these kinds of cupcakes is quite long. And these Blackberry Cream Cupcakes are most definitely on that list. And Nate’s, for sure. Actually, I could probably give him one of these and tell him I scratched his car and he wouldn’t even hear, he loves them that much. You might want to include them in your list as well. Or give them a try and see.
Do you cook much with blackberries? I don’t. I find them to be sour and a bit tricky to work with. I usually go for their sister berry…the raspberry. But, not in sweets. No sirree. In sweets, the blackberry shows off and flaunts his stuff. They are a great compliment to sweet cakes and frostings. Mr. Blackberry can hang out in my kitchen any ol’ time he wants, I’ll treat him right…we’ll have a long and passionate relationship.
The trick to these cupcakes is vodka. Smirnoff to be exact. If you aren’t into using alcohol in your food you could get away without using it. But, the texture might not be as light and fresh. And, the blackberries might not break down perfectly. But, they will still be good. Promise.
- 1 Box Cake Mix
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Whole eggs, according to amount on box
- Smirnoff to replace required water
- 10 oz frozen blackberries
- 1/4 cup Smirnoff
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1/4 cup cream
- 1/2 cup butter
- 7 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tsp vanilla
- White cake mix prepared according to instructions except substitute Smirnoff for the water, use 3 whole eggs instead of 3 egg whites, and add 1 tsp vanilla.
- In small saucepan stir together blackberries, Smirnoff, and sugar. Bring to boil.
- Boil gently for 10 minutes or until blackberries are soft and reduced. If necessary, add vodka to keep a bit of liquid in the pan.
- In container mix together flour and cream.
- Whisk cream/flour mixture into blackberries.
- Boil gently for 2-3 minutes.
- Beat butter.
- Add 2-3 cups of the sugar. Beat again.
- Add remaining sugar, milk, and vanilla.
- Beat until creamy.
- With a spoon, remove the center of the cupcake (about a quarter in size or so).
- Fill with cooled blackberry filling.
- Frost with frosting.
- Add some delicious sprinkles. (optional)
Other cupcakes that are on my must have list…