I'm not sure when you all start school (I believe many have already started! yikes!) but we start TODAY here in Minnesota (said like this...minne-sOt-dah). My kids are anxious for their new schools (so is their mom!) and I'm all about giving them the best start possible here in our new town.
So, today's cute little project is in keeping with getting your kids ready to be successful in school. Okay, not really. This project is just about looking cool and has nothing to do with success in school. But, my kids like to try to tell me that if they are cool...they will be more successful. Hmmmm. So far, that hasn't helped them get fancy pants stuff. But, nice try kids!
I was browsing through Anthropologie and came across a set of pencils that were adorable. And $12.00 for 6.
Let's get crafty and make them ourselves from the clearance sets...
- pencils (you are covering them anyways...use the clearance holiday ones!)
- ModPodge (school glue will work as well)
- Wrap the pencil in washi tape. Be sure to leave a bit of the pencil unwrapped to allow for sharpening.
- Attach a strip of washi to the top of the pencil (near the eraser) only attaching the very bottom of the strip.
- Fold over the exposed section of the strip of washi on to itself.
- Repeat many, many times.
- If using wide washi...cut the finished strips in half lengthwise.
- Use a contrasting color washi to add an stripe at the seams where your washi meet.
- To keep strong and user-friendly Mod Podge (or cover in diluted white glue) your pencils. Let dry.
Now you have "cool" pencils...the cheap way! Of course, you'll have to go buy erasers now. Which, may not end up saving you money. But hey...noone else will have pencils like these at school! Winner!
(this post first appeared on Positively Splendid...but it's so awesome that you needed to see it also, don't you agree!)