I’m betting that this trick is nothing new for many of you. Or all of you. But, sometimes we need to be reminded that it’s A-okay to be easy and fast. We don’t have to make every thing from scratch to keep our title as SuperMom or SuperWoman or SuperWife or whatever title it is you need. Time to love and time to play is sometimes far more important! But, tasty cornbread is a needed commodity. Especially when making our fantastic Tex Mex Eggs Benny (seriously…have you tried that recipe yet? Holy yum!). So, we are reminding you about the fast way of making Tex Mex cornbread. Serve it up with a poached egg for breakfast, or some chicken for supper…you can’t go wrong!
We think the trick to cornbread that tastes authentic and amazing is cooking it in a skillet or heavy pan. So, grab your oven safe skillet for this job! If you like ours, you can buy it online here.
Ingredients for Tex Mex Cornbread:
- Cornbread mix (we usually use two packages for one skillet), prepared according to directions
- 1 cup of frozen corn (1/2 cup if using 1 cornbread mix)
- 1 can green chili’s (1/2 of the can if using 1 cornbread mix)
- 1/2 to 1 cup of green onions, diced. (1/2 of the can if using 1 cornbread mix)
Note: We used a 9 inch skillet for 2 cornbread mixes.
Directions for Tex Mex Cornbread:
- Most likely you will need melted butter for your cornbread mix. Melt that butter in your skillet, in the oven. Swirl it around the pan and put it in your mix…follow the package directions. (if your mix doesn’t use melted butter just melt 1 tablespoon in your skillet)
- Mix your corn and chili’s into the cornbread mix.
- Pour into your hot, buttered skillet.
- Sprinkle the green onions on top of the batter. (you can also sprinkle cheddar cheese on top if you want…you know, for extra!)
- Bake according to the package directions (note, if you are using two packages you will need to add on time…about 10 minutes.)
- Let cool and eat!