I adore, adore, adore the roll-up vintage maps. Adore! But, alas…they are beyond my budget. And difficult to find. So, when blinds.com offered me a chance to craft with one of their shades I jumped at the chance. I knew EXACTLY what I wanted to make. I knew EXACTLY how. And I knew it would be amazing! And…it was. Making this vintage style map was easier then I expected. Would I make the map again? Yes!! I plan on hanging this next to my bear skull (as seen here) in my new apartment!
I wanted to share with you this tutorial so you can make your own version. Or many?? In many varieties!!
- roll-up shade (mine is from Blinds.com-–thank you!)
- map (be sure you choose a size that will be able to be cut down and look nice on your shade)
- ModPodge (I used antique ModPodge to get the yellow effect)
- dowel -optional-
- bit of ribbon-optional-
- Roll out your shade.
- Cut map to the size of your shade (you can trim it a bit after the ModPodge dries as well!)
- Apply ModPodge to the shade.
- Smooth map onto shade that is covered in ModPodge (because this is meant to look old I didn’t worry too much about wrinkles)
- Cover with ModPodge and smooth.
- Let dry.
- Trim edges of map if needed.
- If desired…take out the plastic insert in the bottom of the shade.
- If desired…hot glue the dowel (cut to size…with about 1/2 inch overhang) to the very bottom of the shade
- If desired…hot glue a ribbon loop.
So, now we know how to DIY a vintage map!! I don’t know about you but I feel a bit like I can conquer the world now! Aren’t you surprised at how easy it is to do!! I know…me too! Be sure you let me know how your DIY vintage map turns out…won’t you!
Other surprisingly easy projects: