This gourmet mushroom soup recipe features 2 kinds of mushrooms and a “secret” ingredient. It is easy, fast, and absolutely delightful! Upgrade your creamy mushroom soup to this delicious recipe.
Winter Days are made for soup!Pin this soup recipe to your Pinterest board so you can find it later. You’ll be glad you did!
Have you noticed when you add the word gourmet in front of any recipe title it sounds harder? It makes the recipe seem a bit scary. Run away…run away it screams!!! But that isn’t true with this Gourmet Mushroom Soup Recipe!
If you don’t like mushrooms obviously you won’t like this…obviously!! Don’t try it, you will be disappointed. But if you do like mushrooms? You’ll be wanting to buy me things… you’ll love it so much. Shall I send you a list of my favorite chocolates?
Many mushroom soups are cream based and thick and fatty; not this one! This mushroom soup is filled with good for you ingredients and a lot fewer fats and calories than other versions. It is one of those soups that you will want to make because it tastes amazing, but you will still be feeling good and healthy after your second or third bowl.
If you can at all help it, don’t skip the liquid smoke. Here’s a link to buy some online if you can’t find any locally. If you don’t think you’ll like it…use 1/2 the amount and give it a try. I think you’ll be sold. If you don’t like it, my name is Beth and I live in Timbuktu.
I used 2 kinds of mushrooms…portabello and button. It makes it feel more upscale. No really, it makes the soup more complex and just better. So, liquid smoke and 2 kinds of mushrooms. Got it? See…that wasn’t too hard! You got this gourmet thing!
- 8 tablespoons butter (1 stick)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons liquid smoke
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1 cup diced potatoes
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup half & half
- 2 tablespoons flour
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 package button mushrooms (8oz) 1 package portabella mushrooms (6oz) --this is adaptable to what you can find. A little less or a little more is fine. If you want to use 3 kinds of mushrooms...kudos!
- Saute mushrooms and onion in the butter, liquid smoke, and thyme until sweating (about 5 minutes.)
- Add potatoes and chicken broth.
- Bring to boil. Turn down to simmer.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl mix flour and half and half together.
- Bring soup to low boil, beat in the flour and half and half mixture.
- Let thicken for a few minutes then remove from heat.
- If you have an immersion blender I would recommend giving this soup a good blend. Blending this recipe into a bisque is delicious and brings the mushroom flavor out even more!