Aren’t you jealous of our coffee model? She just looks so bright and summery and lucky to be drinking whatever the heck is in that cup of deliciousness. Not only does it have beautiful chocolate shavings on it…it has a straw. Straws always mean good things. Well, we’re going to tell you a secret. A couple of them; you can put a straw in anything, she’s drinking German coffee, it’s delicious, and it’s 3 ingredients. (if you want that glass mug, go here. Warning, though: It’s adorable, but loses heat quickly.)
- a straw, whipped cream, and chocolate drizzle can make the most ordinary hot drink feel special!
No steaming. No espresso machine. No weird ingredients.
Because we hate it when people show us gorgeous photos of food and then we not only have to get the ingredients (’cause they’re awkward things no one should keep around), but we are also expected to have kitchen gadgets. In our tiny kitchens. Seriously. That’s just cruel.
So this recipe is different. No gadgets.
Coffee. Ice cream. Whipped cream.
See…the Germans are absolute geniuses. They found a way to combine the three best things in the universe into one heavenly cup of joe.
And yes, we hear you. This coffee is bad for you. It’s calorie filled. But it’s worth it. We’ll skip the cake and have this instead. Because we can do that. So can you (if that’s important to you). Because something this delicious belongs in our world.
- we are big fans of little bits of amazingness instead of a lot of normalness. A small bit of a gourmet dessert beats out a big bowl of ice cream, every time!
It belongs in our world…Often.
To make German Coffee:
- Brew 8 oz of coffee and chill it in the freezer for 15 minutes. You could also leave it in the fridge for a couple hours.
- Put 2 scoops of vanilla ice cream in a mug.
- Pour chilled coffee on top of the ice cream.
- Top with whipped cream and chocolate shavings.
- We don’t own a drip coffee maker or espresso machine. We use a Chemex. Or a French Press. No need to have fancy tools to have fancy treats!
If you like this German coffee drink, you might also enjoy:
And if you’re someone who’d rather eat the cake than drink German coffee (you weirdos!)…might we recommend desert island chocolate cake?